Friday, December 14, 2018

Transformation Drawing


"Broken"


"Water Pond"


"Cris-Cross Window" 


"Winter Wonderland"


"Veins"


"Bending"

Details Shots







Transformation Drawing Collection

Dimensions: 42" x 36"

Materials: Charcoal, ink, acrylic paints, newsprint paper

Artist Statement:
I was focused on changing the transformation drawing from verbal and mark responses. For the first drawing, I wanted to work with two contrasting materials, a soft texture contrasted with a hard texture. After that I responded to the markings made by the ink and painted in the areas between the lines, creating a shattered glass effect. I then went over it with the charcoal and worked around the organic shapes I made with acrylic paint, in response to the movement of the organic shapes. The second transformation reminded me of a pond, with windows looking into the depths of the water.
The second transformation was a response to the movement of the ink movement. Leaving a window open to the older design, I worked around the space and, like the ink lines, I worked with geometric and linear lines, moving around the window.
For the third transformation, I was inspired by the white blobs of acrylic paint that moves around the piece from the last transformation. I return to a more organic movement and created a spiraling pattern throughout the whole piece, then coming back over with acrylic paint of white and blues. My friend described the piece to be like of a winter wonderland, snow rounding through the air.
For the fourth transformation, my piece was a response from what my professor said about the last transformation, which was the word "veins." I sketched and cut out hands and arms and sprayed painted their shape on the piece. Afterward, I took the arms and painted the veins on them with ink and placed them on the piece for a final composition.
For the final transformation, I responded to what my classmates had to say had to be the next thing I needed to do for the piece, which was to cut it. I wanted to create movement once again in the piece, by creating flow from the top left corner, moving to the bottom, and rising again to the right top corner.
I was really inspired by movement for all my transformations. I wanted a feeling of energy moving through each piece, each design, and each stroke. While I worked on each one, I was very relaxed and felt at ease. Creating the strokes channel my energy into each stroke and took away all the stressful energy I was feeling during the semester. The transformation drawing was not only being transformed but so was the energy that was inside me whenever I worked on it.


Research/Inspirations

Vincent Van Gogh
https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0149V1962

Avatar the Last Airbender


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417299/ 

Jackson Pollock

 
   https://www.jackson-pollock.org/full-fathom-five.jsp
 

No comments:

Post a Comment