Friday, April 6, 2018

Memento






Memento

Materials: Wood, Beeswax Wood Preserver
Dimensions: 3.75 in. X 3.75 in. X 1.25 in.

Artist Statement:
 This piece represents a trip to a particular place where it is not really allowed to be able to take any souvenirs home from it. The summer after my graduation, my family and I went on a trip to the Grand Canyons along with some other destinations. At the time, I was not really big on the trip idea. It was just after graduation, we were flying which I don't like, and we were going to do big hiking trails which I'm not a fan of either. But, in the end, it ended up being one my famous vacations, particularly because of the Zion River Trail.
One of the last big trails we did before we went back home was the Zion River Trail. A massive trail that isn't actually a trail, but a river that you hike through. The trail had no ends, it is not a loop or circle, it is just a continuous river. What made this trail so memorable for me was that it was probably one of the first trails I truly enjoyed. Other trails beforehand I was taking with shoes that ended up being too small for my feet and made them unbearable to walk on. Here at the river trail, I didn't have to worry about the tightness of my shoes as my feet were just being soaked in cool refreshing water. Another great thing about the trail was that even though it was really hot out, you didn't feel hot at all when you were standing in 60 degrees water. The trail was crowded with other people, but it did not take away from the beauty and sounds of nature that still surrounded me.
In the end, however, we had to make out way back fast as I was the only one whose legs were breaking out in hives. Even if we had to leave, it was still by far the best thing about that whole trip.
I wanted to make something that represented the canyon we were in, where it was deep and carved out by the river. In the center, a hole was cut out to show another piece of wood that was poked by a nail to represent the texture of goosebumps or hives I received from the trail. I wanted it to be a little part of the rest of the piece because the trail still defeats the memory of getting hives while on the trail. I hope to one day return to Zion Canyon and revisit this trail once more.

Process Photos





Research Artists 

Joan Lurie

 
 http://www.joanlurie.com/portfolio/2015/web83.jpg.php

Anthony Roussel

 
 http://anthonyrousseljewellery.tumblr.com/post/100985228202

Carrie Dickens


http://www.carriedickens.com/#/homehere/

No comments:

Post a Comment